Re: Request: empirical determination of membership-functions

Andre Ramos (andreltr@vt.edu)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:02:24 +0200

In article <4pmu5v$q4h@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>, Burt Alperson
<balpers@calstatela.edu> wrote:

> In article FBFDE87D5E@mars2.ngate.uni-regensburg.de,
> <armin.eichinger@stud.uni-regensburg.de> said:
> >
> >Does anybody know of (linguistic, psychological, ...) studies
> >dealing
> >with the empirical determination of membership-functions,
> >operators,
> >and/or other fuzzy logic constructs? I'd be happy to hear from you!
>
> I am very interested in this topic. I'd be grateful if you would share
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Burt Alperson
> balpers@calstatela.edu

Hi,

One approach I've seen for engineering parameters is to let the engineer
define the points to which he/she feels the relation between the given
parameter/memebership value are appropriate. Then, a spline is fitted to
the points and the membership function is formed based on the the spline.
See the paper:

J.E. Chen and K.N. Otto, Constructing membership functions using
interpolation and measurement theory, Fuzzy Set and Systems 73(1995), pp.
313-327

Hope this helps a bit,

Andre'

Andre Luiz Tietbohl Ramos
PhD Candidate
Dept. of Industrial and Systems Engineering - Virginia Tech
E-mail: andreltr@vt.edu