Re: double inverted pendulum

Tom Whalen (dscthw@gsusgi2.Gsu.EDU)
Fri, 3 May 1996 12:16:00 +0200

On Thu, 2 May 1996, Mike Hunt wrote:

> If you mean "successfully controlled a double inverted pendulum"
> then the answer is yes, though I'm not sure if it has been done
> using fuzzy logic. Suykens, Vandewalle, and De Moor describe a
> neural network solution to the problem in their book, "Artificial
> Neural Networks for Modelling and Control of Non-Linear Systems".
> It was published by Kluwer Publishing earlier this year.

Did they omplement it in hardware, or just simulate it?
I've seen a _triple_ inverted pendulum controlled in simulation, with a
graphic display, and my comment is that you can do ANYthing in a cartoon.
A d.i.p. in hardware, OTOH, is an impressive feat.

Tom Whalen dscthw@gsusgi2.gsu.edu voice (404)651-4080 fax (404)651-3498
Professor of Decision Science
The Georgia State University "Never get angry. Never make a threat.
Atlanta, GA 30303-3083 USA Reason with people." -- The Godfather