Re: probability / possibility transformations

Olaf Wolkenhauer (olaf@csc.umist.ac.uk)
Thu, 2 May 1996 11:55:16 +0200

> martin.kuepper@essen.netsurf.de (Martin Kuepper) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I'm looking for papers, books, etc. on possibility / probability
> >transformations and vice versa. Every scource may be helpfull.
> >If you happen to know one, please tell me about it.
> >Thank' s in advance,
> >Martin Kuepper

Below a list of references that deal with probability / possibility
transformations.

Olaf Wolkenhauer

Control Systems Centre, UMIST | Tel.: +44-(0)161 200 4670
Manchester M60 1QD | Fax.: +44-(0)161 200 4647
United Kingdom | E-mail: olaf@csc.umist.ac.uk

@ARTICLE{devi:85,
author = "Devi, B.B. and Sarma, V.V.S.",
title = "Estimation of Fuzzy Memberships from Histograms",
journal = "Information Sciences",
year = "1985",
number = "35",
pages = "43--59"}

@ARTICLE{civanlar:86,
author = "Civanlar, M.R. and Trussell, H.J.",
title = "Constructing Membership Functions using Statistical Data",
journal = "Fuzzy Sets and Systems",
year = "1986",
number = "18",
pages = "1--13"}

G.J.Klir and D.Harmanec
`On some bridges to possibility theory', in (pp 3--19) :
@BOOK{cooman:95,
editor = "De Cooman and others",
title = "Foundations and Applications of Possibility Theory",
series = "Advances in Fuzzy Systems - Applications and Theory",
volume = "8",
publisher = "World Scientific",
address = "Singapore",
year = "1995"}

@ARTICLE{dubois:83,
author = "Dubois, D. and Prade, H.",
title = "Unfair Coins and Necessity Measures: Towards a possibilistic
interpretation of histograms",
journal = "Fuzzy Sets and Systems",
year = "1983",
number = "10",
pages = "15--20"}

J.F. Baldwin, T.P.Martin, B.W.Pilsworth, (1988)
`FRIL - Fuzzy Evidential Reasoning in AI'
Research Studies Press

Not what you asked for but interesting :

@BOOK{silverman:86,
author = "Silverman, B.W.",
title = "Density estimation for statistics and data analysis",
publisher = "Chapman and Hall",
address = "New York",
year = 1986}

@ARTICLE{parzen:62,
author = "Parzen, E.",
title = "On estimation of a probability density function and mode",
journal = "Annals of Mathematical Statistics",
year = 1962,
pages = "1065--1076"}