no title

Paul P. Wang (ppw@ee.duke.edu)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:09:37 +0200

>From gu Tue Apr 16 20:28:52 1996
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:28:51 -0400
From: Xi-liang Gu <gu@ee.duke.edu>
To: ppw@ee.duke.edu

Conference Web site: http://www.duke.edu/~gyx/jcis97

* Third Joint Conference on Information Sciences *

HONORARY CONFERENCE CHAIRS
Lotfi A. Zadeh & Azriel Rosenfeld

March 1, 1997 (Tutorials)
March 2 - 5, 1997 (Conferences)

******************************** THEME ***********************************
* *
* *
* INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS: SCIENTIFIC FOUNDATIONS AND SPECTRUM OF APPLICATIONS *
* *

**** CALL FOR PAPER ****

FT & T'97: Fifth International Conference on Fuzzy Theory & Technology
Chair: Paul P. Wang

IMPORTANT: This is not a stand alone document. Please use it in
conjunction with another document entitled ``Joint Conference General
Administration.'' FT & T 1997 is an integral part of JCIS'97.

IMPORTANT EXPLANATION

1. FT & T'97 has its own ``plenary speakers'' under ``plenary sessions.''
2. You may attend any parallel sessions in JCIS'97.
3. If you would like to contribute to any topics not listed in this CFP,
please contact Wang or Gu.
4. Please observe all the restrictions, regulations and deadline in ``JC
General Administration'' document.

Chair of FT & T'97

Paul P. Wang
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
Box 90291
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0291
Tel. (919)660-5271, 660-5259
Fax: (919)660-5293, 684-4860
E-mail:ppw@ee.duke.edu

General Coordinator

Xiliang Gu
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
Box 90291
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0291
Tel. (919)660-5233
Fax: (919)660-5293, 684-4860
E-mail:gu@ee.duke.edu

5. The Fifth International Conference on Fuzzy Theory & Technology:
The conference will consist of both plenary sessions and contributory
sessions, focusing on topics of critical interest and the direction of future
research. For contributory sessions, full papers are being solicited. We
welcome you to organize sessions. Example topics include, but are not limited
to, the following:
Topics: 5th Conference on Fuzzy Theory & Technology
* Fuzzy Mathematics
* Basic Principles and Foundations of Fuzzy Logic
* Qualitative and Approximate-Reasoning Modeling
* Hardware Implementations of Fuzzy Logic Algorithms
* Design, Analysis, and Synthesis of Fuzzy Logic Controllers
* Learning and Acquisition of Approximate Models
* Fuzzy Expert Systems
* Fuzzy Neural Systems
* Efficiency/Robustness Comparisons with Other Direct Search
Algorithms
* Integration of Fuzzy Logic and Evolutionary Computing
* Fuzzy Logic in Evolutionary Algorithms
* Fuzzy Pattern Recognition
* Implementations (electronic, Optical, Biochips)
* Intelligent Control & Fuzzy Control
Applications of the topics:
* Hybrid Systems * Image Processing
* Image Understanding * Pattern Recognition
* Robotics, Automation & Manufacturing
* Intelligent Vehicle and Highway Systems
* Virtual Reality * Tactile Sensors
* Machine Vision * Motion Analysis
* Neuro Biology * Sensation and Perception
* Sensorimotor Systems * Speec, Hearing and Language
* Signal Processing * Time Series Analysis
* Prediction * System Identification
* System Control * Intelligent Information Systems
* Case-Based Reasoning * Decision Analysis
* Databases and Information Retrieval
* Dynamic Systems Modeling & Diagnosis
* Electrical & Nuclear Power Systems

Please feel free to contact program committee members for their respective
areas, but make sure to send a copy of your proposed sessions or invited
papers to Gu for general ``knowledge Base'' of JCIS'97.

Jack Aldridge (Fuzzy Software)
email: 73521.2260@CompuSere.COM

Bernadette Bouchon-Meunier (Fuzzy Knowledge Base)
email: bouchon@laforia.ibp.fr

Shan Huo Chen (Fuzzy Operations Research)
email: shchen@axpl.stm.ntou.edu.tw

Robert Erickson (Fuzzy Logic & Brain)
email: ERIC@PSYCH.DUKE.EDU

Weibo Gong (Chaotic Simulations)
email: gong@ecs.umass.edu

Irwin R. Goodman (Possibility vs Probability)
email: goodman@cod.nosc.mil

Kaoru Hirota (Fuzzy Robotics)
email: hirota@hrt.sys.titech.ac.jp

Ali Jaoua (Fuzzy Data Base)
email: alijaoua@avicenne.rnrt.tn

Janusz Kacprzyk (Fuzzy Reliability)
email: kacprzyk@ibspan.waw.pl

Abe Kandel (Fuzzy Computer Science Problems)
email: kandel@babbage.csee.usf.edu

George Klir (Fuzzy Set Theory)

Ladislav J. Kohout (Fuzzy Human - Computer Systems)
email: kohout@cs.fsu.edu

Donald H. Kraft (Fuzzy Expert Systems)

Nobuaki Kuroki (Fuzzy Algebra)
email: kuroki@juen.ac.jp

T. Y. Lin (Fuzzy & Rough Set Theory)
email: tylin@cs.sjsu.edu

Marialuisa McAllister (Fuzzy Education)
Fax: 610-861-3980
Tel: 610-865-3187

Liam McDaid (Fuzzy Reasoning)
email: liam@iscm.ulst.ac.uk

John Mordeson (Fuzzy Mathematics, Algebra, Topology & Geometry)
email: mordes@bluejay.creighton.edu

James Murrell (Fuzzy Neural Hybrid System Design)
email: jmurrell@email.unc.edu

Akira Nakamura (Fuzzy Logic)
email: nakamura@cs.meiji.ac.jp

Antonio Puliafito (Fuzzy Hardware)
email: antonio@sun195.iit.unict.it or ap@iit.unict.it

Arthur Ramer (Fuzzy Measure Theory)
email: ramer@cse.unsw.edu.au

Zbigniew W. Ras (Fuzzy Knowledge Base
email: ras@mosaic.uncc.edu

Salatore S. Sessa (Fuzzy Expert Systems)
Fax: 081-551-7229

Sujeet Shenoi (Fuzzy Data Base, Data Mining)
email: sujeet@euler.mcs.utulsa.edu

Samuel M. Smith (Fuzzy Control Systems Design)
email: smith@oe.fau.edu

Les M. Sztandera (Fuzzy Control)
email: sztandera@hardy.texsci.edu

Marcus Thint (Fuzzy Logic & NN Integration)
email: mpkt@ee.duke.edu

I. Burhan Turksen (Fuzzy Expert Systems)
email: turksen@ie.utoronto.ca

Lawrence N. Virgin (Chaos Theory)
email: lvirgin@acpub.duke.edu

G. J. Wang (Fuzzy Mathematics)

Joachim Weisbrod (Fuzzy Control)
email: weisbrod@fzi.de

Li D. Xu (Fuzzy Management Information)
email: LXU@desire.wright.edu

Robert Young (Fuzzy Constraint Network)
email: young@eos.ncsu.edu

>From gu Tue Apr 16 20:29:01 1996
* Third Joint Conference on Information Sciences *

HONORARY CONFERENCE CHAIRS
Lotfi A. Zadeh & Azriel Rosenfeld

March 1, 1997 (Tutorials)
March 2 - 5, 1997 (Conferences)

******************************** THEME ***********************************
* *
* *
* INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS: SCIENTIFIC FOUNDATIONS AND SPECTRUM OF APPLICATIONS *
* *

FT & T'97: Fifth International Conference on Fuzzy Theory & Technology
Chair: Paul P. Wang

CS & I'97: Third International Conference on Computer Science & Informatics
Co-Chairs: Mohamed Gouda & Hussein Abdel-Wahab

CI & N'97: Second International Conference on Computational Intelligence &
Neurosciences
Co-Chairs: Subhash C. Kak & Jeffrey P. Sutton

RSSC'97: Fifth International Workshop on Rough Sets and Soft Computing
Co-Chairs: T. Y. Lin & Akira Nakamura

SCS'97: First International Workshop on Semiotic Analysis and Design of
Intelligent Systems
Chair: Alex Meystel

GA'97: First International Workshop on Frontiers in Evolutionary Algorithms
Chair: Cezary Z. Janikow

ADVISORY BOARD

James S. Albus Jim Anderson Heather Dalterio Earl Dowell
Erol Gelenbe David E. Goldberg Ulrich M. Gosele Stephen Grossberg
Kaoru Hirota Y. C. Ho John H. Holland Teuvo Kohonen
Keith Kreisher Richard Palmer Zdzislaw Pawlak Azriel Rosenfeld
John Staddon Paul O. Weislogel Max Woodbury Stephen S. Yau
Lotfi A. Zadeh Hans Zimmerman

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

James S. Albus Jim Anderson Roger Brockett Earl Dowell
David E. Goldberg Stephen Grossberg Y. C. Ho John H. Holland
Zdzislaw Pawlak Lotfi A. Zadeh

Managing Chair of the Joint Conference

Paul P. Wang
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
Box 90291
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0291
Tel. (919)660-5271, 660-5259
Fax: (919)660-5293, 684-4860
E-mail:ppw@ee.duke.edu

General Coordinator

Xiliang Gu
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
Box 90291
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0291
Tel. (919)660-5233
Fax: (919)660-5293, 684-4860
E-mail:gu@ee.duke.edu

SPECIAL INFORMATION SCIENCE AWARD

Recipient: John H. Holland

Including a certificate, $2,500 prize and all expenses attending
the third JCIS paid

4th ANNUAL LOTFI A. ZADEH BEST PAPER AWARD

Recipient to be announced soon, acceptance speech, certificate,
$2,500 prize and Hotel accommodations attending the 3rd JCIS

5th ANNUAL LOTFI A. ZADEH BEST PAPER AWARD COMPETITION

Open to all 3rd JCIS attendees, certificate, $2,000 prize and
Hotel accommodations attending the next JCIS

TIME SCHEDULE AND VENUE

March 1 through 5, 1997
Sheraton Imperial Hotel & Convention Center
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
U.S.A.

| SPONSORS: |
| |
| Information Science Journals - Sections A, B & C |
| |
| Elsevier Science Publishing Inc. |
| New York, N.Y. |
| |
| Machine Intelligence and Fuzzy Logic Laboratory |
| Duke University |
| |

* GENERAL ADMINSTRATION *

I. PUBLICATIONS

The Joint Conferences publishes three or four proceedings on summaries
which consists of all papers accepted by all respective program committees.
The JCIS Proceedings will be made available on March 1, 1997, for all three
conferences & three workshops depending upon the total number of pages for
each conference or workshop.

A summary shall not exceed 4 pages of 10-point font, double-column,
single-spaced text, (1 page minimum) with figures and tables included. Any
summary exceeding 4 pages will be charged $50 per additional page. Three
copies of the summary are required by Dec. 15, 1996. A deposit of $150 check
must be included to guarantee the publication of your 4 pages summary in the
Proceedings. The absolute deadline for the deposit is Jan. 15, 1997. For
multiple papers author, the following deposit schedule will be observed: one
paper, $150; two papers, $200; three papers, $250; etc., with $50 increment
thereafter. The $150 deposit (one paper) can be deducted from registration fee
later. There is no deduction for student registration. It is very important
to mark FT & T'97, or CS & I'97, or CI & N'97, or RSSC'97, or SCS'97, or GA'97
on your manuscript (only one of six can be chosen). The conference will make
the choice for you if you forget to do so. Final version of the full length
paper must be reviewed for possible publication in one of the three
INFORMATION SCIENCE JOURALS or deluxe professional hard cover books. Several
special issues will be published in the journal. The number of the special
issues will depend upon the quality of papers submitted, the availability of
guest editors, the interest of research community in a particular topic and
the budget of the publishers. Four (4) copies of the full length paper shall
be prepared according to the ``information for Authors'' appearing at the back
cover of Information Sciences, an International Journal (Elsevier Publishing
Co.). A full paper shall not exceed 20 pages including figures and tables. All
full length papers will be reviewed by experts in their respective fields.
All fully registered conference attendees will receive a copy of proceeding
(summary) of his/her chosen conference or workshop on March 1, 1997. Lastly,
attendees will have the opportunity to purchase any or all of Vol.I, Vol.II
and Vol.III of ``Advances in Fuzzy Theory & Technology'' as well as Vol. IV
``Advances in Information Sciences''. These are hard-covered, deluxe,
professional books at 1/2 price.

II. TUTORIALS

Several mini-courses are scheduled on march 1, 1997. Please take note that
any one of them may be cancelled or combined with other mini-courses due to
the lack of attendance. Cost of each mini-course is $120 up to 1/1/97 & $160
after 1/1/97, the same cost for all mini-course.

No. Name of Mini-Course Instructor Time
A Languages and Compilers for J. Ramanujan 8:30 am - 10:30 am
Distributed Memory Machine
B Pattern Recognition H. D. Cheng 8:30 am - 10:30 am
Applications
C Fuzzy Set & George Klir 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
Fuzzy Logic or I. B. Turksen
D Neural Network Theory Subhash Kak 10:30 am - 12:30 pm

E Fuzzy Expert Systems Abe Kandel 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm

F Semiotic Analysis Alex Meystel 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm

G Neuroscience & Jeffrey Sutton 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Neural Computing
H Atomic Target Recognition Edward K. Wong 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
or Frank Shih
I Fuzzy Logic & NN Integration Marcus Thint 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

J Rough Set Theory Tsau Young Lin 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

III. JCIS'97 REGISTRATION FEES & INFORMATION

Up to 1/1/97 After 1/1/97
Full Registration $320.00 $440.00
Student Registration $120.00 $180.00
Tutorial(per Mini-Course) $120.00 $160.00
Exhibit Boot Fee $300.00 $400.00
One Day Fee(no pre-reg. discount) $195.00
$ 95.00 (Student)
Above fees applicable to all three conferences & three workshops

FULL CONFERENCE REGISTRATION: Includes admission to all sessions, exhibit
area, coffee, tea and soda. A copy of conference proceedings (summary) at
conference. In addition, the right to purchase the hard-cover deluxe books
at 1/2 price, and the proceedings of companion conferences, workshops of
JCIS'97, also, at half price. Award Banquet on March 3, 1997 and lunches on
March 2, 3 & 4 are also included through Full Registration. One day
registration does not include banquet, but it does include one lunch on the
day registered. Tutorials are not included.

STUDENT CONFERENCE REGISTRATION: ( For full-time students only. A letter from
your department is required. You must present a current student ID with
picture.) Includes a copy of conference proceedings (summary), admission to
all sessions, exhibit area, coffee, tea and soda, the right to purchase the
hard-cover deluxe books at 1/2 price, and companion proceedings at 1/2 price.
Single student author must pay $150 in addition.

TUTORIALS REGISTRATION: Any person can register for the Tutorials. A copy of
lecture notes for the course registered is included. Coffee, tea and soda are
included. The right to purchase the hard-cover deluxe books and all companion
JCIS'97 proceedings are included.

III. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS

The Travel Center of Durham, Inc. has been designated the official travel
provider. Special domestic fares have been arranged and The Travel Center is
prepared to book all flight travel.
Domestic United States and Canada: 1-800-334-1085
International FAX: 919-687-0903

IV. HOTEL ARRANGEMENTS

Sheraton Imperial Hotel & Convention Center
P. O. Box 13099
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
U.S.A.
Phone: 919-941-5050
Fax: 919-941-5156

Beautiful Sheraton Imperial Hotel & Convention Center will be the conference
site and lodging. The negotiated guest room rate would be $80.00 single
occupancy and $90.00 double occupancy (1996 rate). Sheraton guarantees the
rate for 1997 will not exceed a 5% increase. Conference management will update
the accurate rate in the future. This negotiated rate represents a substantial
discount fot JCIS'97. This excellent facilities feature Imperial Athletic
Club, Indoor & outdoor pools, International collection of restaurants, and
quality services.

V. LOTFI A. ZADEH BEST PAPER AWARD JCIS'1997

All authors registered in the conference or workshops will automatically
participate in Lotfi A. Zadeh Best Paper Competition. All technical papers
submitted to the conference are automatically qualified as candidates for this
award. The prize for this award is $2,000 plus hotel accommodations
(traveling expenses excluded) at JCIS'1998. The date for announcement of the
best paper is Dec. 31, 1997. Oral presentation in person at JCIS'1998, is
required and an acceptance speech at JCIS'1998 is also required.

VI. SPECIAL INFORMATION SCIENCE AWARD

It is truely our honor and pleasure to announce this important special award.
Professor John H. Holland will deliver a significant acceptance speech at the
third JCIS. The award includes certificate, $2,500 prize and all expenses
attending the third JCIS paid.

VII. CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FORM

-

CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FORM

[ ] I wish to receive further information.
[ ] I intend to participate in the conference.
[ ] I intend to present my paper to regular session.
[ ] I intend to register in tutorial(s).

Name: Dr./Mr./Mrs. _________________________________________________

Address: ___________________________________________________________

Country: ___________________________________________________________

Phone:________________ Fax: _______________ E-mail: ________________

Affiliation(for Badge): ____________________________________________

Participation Plan: [ ]A [ ]B [ ]C

Up to 1/1/97 After 1/1/97
Full Registration [ ]$320.00 [ ]$440.00
Student Registration [ ]$120.00 [ ]$180.00
Tutorial(per Mini-Course) [ ]$120.00 [ ]$160.00
Exhibit Booth Fee [ ]$300.00 [ ]$400.00
One Day Fee(no pre-reg. discount) [ ]$195.00
[ ]$ 95.00 (Student)

Total Enclosed(U.S. Dollars): ________________

All foreign payments must be made by draft on a US Bank in US dollars.
Personal checks are accepted for US attendees only. Credit cards (Visa or
Master) are accepted for all conference attendees.

[ ] VISA or [ ] MASTER Exp. Date ____________

Credit Card # ______________________________________

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$ Please make check payable and mail to: $
$ FT & T $
$ c/o. Paul P. Wang $
$ Dept. of Electrical Engineering &
$ P. O. BOX 90291 $
$ Duke University $
$ Durham, NC 27708 $
$ U. S. A. $

* IMPORTANT DEADLINES TO REMEMBER *

(1) Deadline for summaries submission: December 6, 1996.
(2) Proposal for organized sessions: any time up to December 20, 1996.
(3) Paper acceptance or rejection: Jannuary 1, 1997.
(4) Program (Electronic Version): January 1, 1997.
(5) Absolute deadline for deposit: January 15, 1997.
(6) Official program available: Febuary 1, 1997.
(5) Deadline for full length paper: March 4, 1997.