Modelling Emotions (Was: Re: SciFair: URGENT NEED HELP)

Aaron Sloman (A.Sloman@cs.bham.ac.uk)
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 18:20:58 +0100

highlndr@fastlane.net (Highlander) writes:

> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 05:17:24 GMT
>
> Uhm. . . I think you misunderstood my cryptic request. I didn't mean graphics
> displays but rather the emotions themselves.
>
> I need a possible way to go about creating the means to have a computer NOT
> DISPLAY but . . . HAVE HUMAN-LIKE EMOTIONS. It might sound pervurted to some
> but I mean to have a computer "display" emotions like an ordinary intelligent
> human male/female might (i.e. love, hate, envy, trust, etc., though some might
> argue trust is not an emotion). Possibly even build in what the average
> male/female find attractive about the opposite sex (based on surveys I have
> seen).
>
> This could have implications in match making or more seriously a closer step to
> having TRUE simulation of the human brain processes.

And, more importantly, a closer step to understanding what a human
(or animal mind is) and how it functions.

The Cognition and Affect group at the University of Birmingham has
been working on this problem since 1991, and before I came here I
had been working on it for much longer. A lot of our work in this
area is now available in our ftp directory:

ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/groups/cog_affect

The most recent overview paper in their is a draft one I've written
called
Title: What sort of control system is able to have a personality?

Paper presented at Workshop in Vienna June 1995 on synthetic
agents with personalities. Includes some edited transcripts
of discussion following presentation. Still in process of
being corrected.

Filename: Aaron.Sloman.vienna.ps.Z

Another recent paper in the same directory is by Ian Wright:

Title: Reinforcement learning and animat emotions

Filename: Ian.Wright_animat_emotions.ps.Z
Filename: Ian.Wright_animat_emotions.txt.Z
(Plain text version)

There's a full list of abstracts and titles in this plain text file:

ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/groups/cog_affect/0-INDEX

HTML versions of the information, with direct pointers to the papers
(mostly compressed postscript) are in:

ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/groups/cog_affect/0-INDEX.html

ftp://ftp.cs.bham.ac.uk/pub/groups/cog_affect/sloman.papers.html

(Including a pointer to "What is it like to be a rock?")

There is a lot of work on aspects of this problem at various other
sites. E.g. try the OZ project at Carnegie Mellon University.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/oz/web/

Aaron

---
--
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs )
School of Computer Science, The University of Birmingham, B15 2TT, England