Dobrodošli! I am a PhD student in the Database and Artificial Intelligence
Group at Vienna University of Technology, supervised by Nysret Musliu, funded by
the Vienna PhD School of Informatics. I am mostly interested in Combinatorial
Optimization, currently focusing on High School Timetabling problems. I obtained my Bachelor degree in Computer Science in 2010 at the Electrical
Engineering faculty from University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. In 2012, I received my Master degree in Theoretical Computer Science
at the Faculty of Natural Sciences from the same university and started my PhD in Vienna right after. During this time, I have also studied Musical
Composition at the Academy of Music in Sarajevo, supervised by Ališer Sijarić, but these studies are currently on hold due to the PhD.
- Combinatorial Optimization.
- focus on scheduling and high school timetabling.
- Metaheuristic algorithms.
- E.g. local search, large neighborhood search, and others.
- Programming paradigms and modeling.
- satisfiability (SAT), constraint programming (CP), integer programming (IP).
- Multi-objective optimization.
- Advanced algorithms and data structures.
- especially complexity theory, discrete, and numerical mathematics.
- General computer programming and implementation (most C/C++).
- Parallel programming.
- Scientific computation related to physical fluid-like simulaions.
- Database programming (MySql, Oracle).
- Image processing.
- Programming PLCsvia ladder diagrams.
Conference and Workshop
- Emir Demirović, Nysret Musliu, Felix Winter. "Modeling and Solving Staff Scheduling with Partial Weighted maxSAT", accepted for the 11th International Conference on the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling (PATAT 2016).
- Emir Demirović and Nysret Musliu. "Solving High School Timetabling with Satisability Modulo Theories", In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling (PATAT 2014), E. Ozcan, E. K. Burke, B. McCollum (Eds.), pages 142-166, 2014
- Emir Demirović, Théo Le Calvar, Nysret Musliu, and Katsumi Inoue. "An Exact Algorithm for Unicost Set Covering", accepted for the Doctoral Programming of the 22nd International Conference on the Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming (CP 2016).
- Emir Demirović and Nysret Musliu. "Modeling High School Timetabling as Partial Weighted maxSAT", LaSh 2014: The 4th Workshop on Logic and Search (a SAT / ICLP workshop at FLoC 2014), July 18, 2014, Vienna, Austria
- Haris Gavranović, Mirsad Buljubašć, and Emir Demirović, "Variable Neighborhood Search for Google Machine Reassignment Problem", Electronic Notes in Discrete Mathematics 39 (2012): 209-216
- Emir Demirović and Haris Gavranović (Poster), "An Efficient Method for Solving UNSAT 3-SAT and Similar Instances via Static Decomposition", Theory and Applications of Satisfiability Testing-SAT 2012. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012. 489-490
- Mirsad Buljubašć, Haris Gavranović, Emir Demirović (Presentation), "Adaptive Local Search for Google Machine Reassignment problem", European Conference on Operational Research EURO 2012, Vilnius (Lt), July 2012
- Member of the winning team for ROADEF/EURO Challenge 2012: Machine Reassignment, organized by the French Operational Research (OR) and
Decision Support Society (ROADEF) jointly with the European Operational Research Society (EURO) in collaboration with Google
Completed a four month internship at the National Institute of Informatics (NII) in Japan under the supervision of Inoue-sensei.
- Third and ninth place in Object Oriented Programming at Elektrijada in 2010 and 2009 (respectively), International Competition in Electrical Engineering for University Students of Southeastern Europe
- SAT/SMT Summer School 2014 awarded me Logicomix, a graphical novel about the foundational quest in mathematics, written by Apostolos Doxiadis and Christos Papadimitriou
- My bachelor thesis fluid simulation of a highly viscous fluid using a Lagrangian point of view technique, programmed in C++
- My CV
- Partial Weighted maxSAT instances representing real world timetabling problems
Feel free to contact me anytime via email!
TU-Whitepages: Emir Demirović