Exploiting a good heuristic solution

Subject: Exploiting a good heuristic solution
From: ANANT SINGH JAIN (A.S.JAIN@dundee.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 18:27:17 MET

Dear Schedule Members,

I was wondering if you have any suggestions to my problem. I have a
good heuristic solution for the job shop scheduling problem which is
on average about 7 % from the best known lower bound. How can l
improve this solution further ? I am thinking about applying a branch
and bound approach. However l know these take a long time. Therefore
is there a way to exploit my good upper bound solution in the branch
and bound algorithm ? Maybe by using selected portions of my
heuristic solution ? I do not want to a full force branch and bound
search ? but a mini search which can exploit the solution l already
have.

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. I thank you all
advance and would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a
Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Anant
Anant Singh Jain