Lecture Announcement

Subject: Lecture Announcement
From: Norbert Preining (preining@logic.at)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 12:27:07 MET

            KURT GÖDEL SOCIETY

            LECTURE ANNOUNCEMENT

We are pleased to inform you that Prof. Sy D. Friedman will held a
lecture:

SPEAKER: Prof. Sy D. Friedman
                Institut für Logistik
                Universität Wien

TITLE: Forcing and Large Cardinals

DATE & TIME: Monday, November 29, 1999
                16.45

LOCATION: Seminarraum des Instituts für Computersprachen (Prof. Leitsch)
                Favoritenstrasse 9
                Stiege 1
                3. Stock

ABSTRACT:
We aim to indicate how the principles of completeness and iteration
can be used to show that the modern theory of large cardinals arises naturally
from basic considerations in the theory of forcing. Goedel's L, the smallest
inner model of ZFC, is incomplete in the sense that by forcing over L one
can witness new absolute properties. We show that to resolve this kind of
incompleteness, one is necessarily led to the existence of 0#, the
smallest "large cardinal". Then we show that inner models for larger
cardinals can be obtained from L by iterating the "#-operation". Moreover, the
incompleteness of these models can only be resolved by assuming the
consistency of very strong large cardinal axioms. In this sense the
principles of completeness and iteration necessarily lead to measurable
cardinals of high order, and we conjecture that they in fact lead to us to
the existence of inner models containing superstrong cardinals.