January 25, S.I.Adian: Decidable and Undecidable Algorithmic Problems for Groups and Monoids.

Subject: January 25, S.I.Adian: Decidable and Undecidable Algorithmic Problems for Groups and Monoids.
From: Helmut Veith (kgs-owner@dbai.tuwien.ac.at)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 19:41:56 MET

Lecture Announcement
-------------------------

S.I. Adian
Steklov Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences

Decidable and Undecidable Algorithmic Problems for Groups and Monoids.
Monday, January 25, 16:45

ABSTRACT:

It is well known that undecidable algorithmic problems exist in almost
all essential branches of mathematics. In this talk we shall consider
algorithmic results related to monoids and groups: word problems,
isomorphism problems, recognisibility of group properties and decidability
of some natural fragments of the elementary theories of free groups and
free monoids. Most of the results have been proved during many years by
members of the reaserch seminar named "Algorithmic Problems in Algebra
and Logic" in Moscow State University. A special attention will be taken
to the cases when a frontier between decidable and undecidable cases can
be described more or less precisely.

PLACE:

Seminarraum SEM 181A, Institut fuer Informationssysteme,
Paniglgasse 16, 1. Stock, 1040 Wien.

Kurt-Goedel-Gesellschaft
Technische Universitaet Wien
Institut fuer Computersprachen E185.2
Resselgasse 3/1, A-1040 Wien

email: mailto:kgs@logic.tuwien.ac.at
http://logic.tuwien.ac.at:80/kgs/home.html
listserver: mailto:listproc@dbai.tuwien.ac.at

Mit Unterstuetzung des
Bundesministeriums fuer Wissenschaft und Forschung