Re: Fuzzy Logic & Neural Nets

Yaochu Jin (ftrjin@mail.ipm.net)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:47:24 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

> I hope this question will not offend anyone.

This is a good question.

> Is there anything in fuzzy logic neural nets can't already handle ?
> RBF, Probabilistic, Kohonen nets and the likes already handle fuzzy
> classification quite neatly, don;'t they?

If you use a fuzzy system solely as a function approximator (either for
regression or classification), everything a fuzzy system can do can be done by a
neural network, and even better.

However, in my view, fuzzy systems should not be used only as a function
approximator. One of the most fascinating properties of a fuzzy system is its
capability for knowledge representation. Expert knowledge can be represented by
fuzzy rules and thus can be transferred to other systems ( e.g. a neural
network). On the other hand, fuzzy systems should be interpretable, or
understandable to human beings. In this case, knowledge could be extracted from
fuzzy systems.

In a word, a fuzzy system could do better as a knowledge carrier than as a
function approximator.

Best regards

Yaochu Jin
Yaochu Jin