Re: RFI - Rule sets - pre-built - domain-specific foundation rules - availability or contacts

Eric Marceau (marceau@nortelnetworks.com)
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:00:25 +0100 (MET)

A comment received from one individual suggests that
maybe my posting was not clear. I will try to clarify.

Every domain has knowledge specific to that domain.
But within that domain, basic meta-knowledge, generic
rules, empirical or otherwise, do exist and can be deemed
common knowledge. This,

I will call the "foundation knowledge",

stops at the threshold where it crosses the line into
the category of proprietary processes (knowledge) within
a given business. The overlay then would be classified
as each enterprise's operational personality database.

Having made this distinction, is there anything out there
that is pre-built for the domain-specific foundation
knowledge ?

Eric Marceau wrote:

> I am looking for pre-built libraries of rule sets appropriate to
> specific technical domains. My view is that availability of
> such ready-to-use rule sets would:
>
> - accelerate the use of the technology
> - standardize the approach to knowledge classification and attributes
> - facilitate the overall discussion of management of knowledge
> characterization such as hypothesis, scenario, proposal, confirmed,
> dated, obsolete and the life-cycle management of knowledge base items.
> - reduce the effort to advance beyond the technology assimilation into
> the technology application phase

..(snip)...