Re: Is Fuzzy theory totally dead and obsolete now?

Ulrich Bodenhofer (ulrich@flll.uni-linz.ac.at)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:28:05 +0100 (MET)

Tony wrote:

> Your lecturer's opinion is purely academic. Just see how many
> Japanesse products utilise Fuzzy Logic. Look at the automotive
> industry. Your right to ask this question, get more opinions because
> I believe its still quite strong. This is also reflected in the
> number of ASIC chips and software being designed for FL.

IMHO, not even this is fully true. It is true that FL is widely used
nowadays for solving problems in various disciplines, such as
control, pattern recognition, quality control, etc. However, it is
definitely not dead on the theoretical, academic level either.
There is still (or even increasing) interest in FL theory - for several
reasons:

1. Some questions, e.g. in fuzzy control, are not yet solved in a
satisfactory way, for instance, rule interpolation, reduction of
size of rule bases, efficient and interpretable handling of
systems with a very high number of inputs.
2. Some newer issues in FL theory could be useful in a way which is
not yet imaginable, e.g. fuzzy databases, fuzzy querying, etc.
3. ...

Working in this area since six years, I would say that FL is neither
dead nor obsolete - neither on the theoretical nor on the practical
side. I would recommend everybody, who thinks this, to look at
FL journals or conference proceedings to get an impression of the
activities in the fuzzy society and the practical problems that are
addressed.

Regards,
Ulrich