Re: Simpson's Paradox and Quantum Entanglement

ca314159@bestweb.net
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 17:41:01 +0100 (MET)

In article <816bkj$lie$1@news.panix.com>,
forkosh@panix7.panix.com (John Forkosh) wrote:
> ca314159@bestweb.net wrote:
> : Simpson's Paradox:
> : http://curriculum.qed.qld.gov.au/kla/eda/sim_par.htm
> : Simpson's Paradox is a statistical artifact ...<snip>
>
> There's a textbook treatment in "Quantum Probability",
> Stanley P. Gudder, Academic Press 1988, ISBN 0-12-305340-4,
> pages 102-106, which concludes it's not a problem.
> John (forkosh@panix.com)

I wonder, since there is such a simple picture of it
in terms of vector relations in the above link;
and vectors, being so much a part of physics, one would
think that this problem would crop-up quite often in
physical contexts, and yet there isn't much mention of
"Simpson's Paradox" in physics that I can detect.

Your reference above is the first case I've seen so far
where Simpson's paradox is mentioned in physics
and quantum physics at that (other than G.G.Simpson's
fictional book involving quantum mechanics),

Maybe it's called by another name in the field of physics,
than it is in the field of statistics ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.