RE: The Magic city of Baku and the history of fuzzy logic

Rod Davison (rdavison@sprint.ca)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:24:25 +0200 (MET DST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrei Heilper [SMTP:aheilper@vnet.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 9:23 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: The Magic city of Baku and the history of fuzzy logic

In my search on the ideas that lead to fuzzy logic, I saw a reference by
Jan Dejnozka about the following persons to be relevant to the history
of fuzzy logic:
Bertrand Russel, Jan Lukasiewicz, Max Black, James McCauley, Lotfi
Zadeh.
< stuff removed>
But who is McCauley? (may be McCawley?)

Any answers/clarifications to the previous questions would be
appreciated

Andrei Heilper

James McCawley is a linguist who was part of what I refer to as the "pragmatist revolution" of the 1980s. Like Talmy Givon, Ronald Lanacker, George Lakoff and others, he helped legitimize the study of categorization and cognition as tools in understanding the structure of langauge in terms of a shared, cognitive artifact.

The relevence of someone like McCawleyto fuzzy logic comes from the hypothesis that fuzzy logic is th eway we naturally tend to think about the world, and this fuzziness shows up in linguistic structures. This was partly a rebellion agains the idea that grammars of languages could be expressed in some set of first orderlogical formalisms (a la Chomsky). in fact, one of McCawley's books which is strandard reading for linguists (REAL linguists that is ) is:

Everything linguists have always wanted to know about logic -- but were afraid to ask. 1981 University of Chigao Press

There is an excellent and very readable book for anyone interested in exploring the relationship between language, congition, categories of thought and fuzzy logic which I usually recommend, even though it is about 10 years old: That is

Women, fire and dangerous things: what categories reveal about the mind. by George Lakoff ISBN 0-226-46804-6, University of Chicago Press, 1987

Rod Davison
Davison Instructional Services Ltd.
(613) 569-7624
rdavison@sprint.ca