Re: Zadeh Paper Question(s)

Robin B. Lake (rbl@hal.epbi.cwru.edu)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:12:29 +0200 (MET DST)

Adrian asked:

> Has anyone read the paper of Prof. Zadeh "From computing with numbers to
> computing with words - from manipulation of measurements to manipulation of
> perceptions" IEEE Trans Circ. Sys. Jan 99 ?

I've just been reviewing some of the early fuzzy work and read the
extended abstract of Zadeh's talk on this topic.

> If so I have some questions:
>
> 1) On page 108 he says the problem of automation of driving in city traffic
> "cannot be solved through the use of numerical computing". Why is this so, I
> mean is is THEORETICALLY impossible, or practically. If impossible why?

I defer to the author's mind. I thought a bit about this very point and
assumed that Latfi meant "This is a system with a VERY high number
of states."

> 2) Does anyone know more cases for the "Cant define Rationale" on page 108?

Will get the Trans Circuits and Systems article from the library and
see what that refers to.

> 3) If sensors CAN be used for a particular problem, in that case would
> computing with words and fuzzy logic become irrelavent for that particular
> task?

In my own experience, whether the initial data comes from noisy
sensors (or a noisy system) OR from words + fuzzy logic, makes no
difference. I believe I covered this is a recent posting on Boolean
Models. In either case, words + fuzzy logic prevail in a very useful
way.

Cheers,
Robin Lake
Environmental Modeling Inc.