Re: The Magic city of Baku and the history of fuzzy logic

Andrei Heilper (aheilper@vnet.ibm.com)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:44:28 +0200 (MET DST)

Robin B. Lake wrote:

> My earliest reference -- and one of the very best for exposing the
> fuzzy logic thought process and the resolution of the fuzzy-to-real
> discovery process is: "Les Entretiens de Zurich sur Les fondements
> et la methode des sciences mathematiques" 6-9 Decembre 1938.
> F. Gonseth, ed. Pub. 1941 Editeurs S.a. Leemann freres & cie.,
> Zurich.
>
> And an earlier paper by Gonseth "La Verite Mathematique et la
> Realite", Conference prononcee a l'assembleee annuale de la
> Societe helvetique des Sciences naturelies, a Thoune, le 6 aout 1932.
> While I have a copy, I have no record of from where it was copied.
>
> Another key paper to set the mind right on fuzzy logic and reality is
> called "The Morning Star and the Evening Star". I can't locate that
> paper at the moment, but it deals with the development of logic and
> reasoning that allows one to axiomatize that two objects that are
> never seen concurrently can be (and are, indeed) the same object.

Thanks for your references that were totally unkown for me.

I think that it would be very useful if you could make some remarks about the
connections between
Boolean-valued models in set theory (a la Dana Scott) and fuzzy sets. While there
is a superficial similarity between them, their goals seem quite diffferent - how
would you build a fuzzy von Neumann hierarchy?

Andrei Heilper