Re: Use of Data Mining Algorithms

Paul Victor Birke (nonlinear@home.com)
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:24:38 +0200 (MET DST)

Will Dwinnell wrote:

> Debasmit SR Mohanty wrote:
> "I am new to Data Mining. I know of Data Mining algorithms such as
> Genetic Algorithms, Neural Networks and Machine Learning etc.
>
> If I have tasks such as Classification, regression, association,
> visualization, data pre-processing etc, which of the algorithms should I
> use for each of these tasks ?
> Can I use one algorithm to do all these tasks or I selectively choose
> algorithm to do a specific task ?
>
> Basically I want to know is there any preferred algorithm for any
> particular task."
>
> Undoubtedly people have personal preferences, but it seems more useful
> to me to keep an open mind about such things. No algorithms completely
> dominate their respective fields, so it is handy to keep a collection of
> tools at the ready.
>
> Will Dwinnell
Dear Will

However, I would say the algorithms based on Probability Concepts (like
PNN) and Bayesian Learning (Gaussian Processes) are strong contenders
here if you are thinking generically.

It is a good question raised by Debasmit SR Mohanty. As you have
pointed out, usually specifically aimed,tailored and tweaked NNs are the
current methods of best attack. Rarely do we find "Generic Hammers" as
one of my Profs (WR Smith) would always remind me.

all the best,

Paul Birke. P. Eng. NN Researcher in Guelph ON CANADA