Re: Imprecision,... a reply to a reply

Martine De Cock (Martine.DeCock@rug.ac.be)
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 13:00:21 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Kamil Murat EKSIOGLU wrote:

> Imprecision of the human systems is due to the imperfection of knowledge
> that humain receives (observation) from the external world. Imperfection
> leads to a doubt about the value of a variable, a decision to be taken
> or a conclusion to be drawn for the actual system. The sources of
> uncertainty can be stochasticity (the case of
> intrinsic imperfection where a typical and single value does not exist),
> incomplete knowledge (ignorance of the
> totality, limited view on a system because of its complexity) or the
> acquisition errors (intrinsically imperfect observations, the
> quantitative errors in measures). Some even add conceptual imprecision,
> lexical vagueness and linguistic inexactitude.

Here you're saying that VAGUENESS CAUSES UNCERTAINTY.
E.g. if Chris says to Jim : "John is tall" then Jim is uncertain on the
PRECIZE length of John (although Jim is now certain on the IMPRECIZE
length of John, right?)

I believe that UNCERTAINTY can also CAUSE VAGUENESS.
E.g. I see a man walking down the street. I cannot observe his precise
length (acquisition error). Just because I'm uncertain on his precise
length, I will use an imprecise description which can be vague ("the man
is rather tall").

Best regards,
Martine.