Re: Pilot AI

Craig W. Reynolds (cwr@red.com)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:39:42 +0200 (MET DST)

Jp Calderone wrote:
> I'm currently working on a game that will (at a much later date)
> incorperate AI piloted space craft. The system is flexible, in that
> the stats of a ship can change due to newly installed equipment,
> battle damage, repairs to damaged components, and stress-damage over
> time. My main goal for the AI is to have them capable enough to fly
> against human opponents in a combat situation and do moderately well.
> While I'd rather have them fly brilliantly *grin* I not opposed to
> offsetting a slight inferiority in skill with a superiority in
> numbers/ firepower/etc. There is no code written for the AI module
> yet, and the space module is still very open to change in terms of
> data structures and overall framework. My question is is this is
> something attainable without an immense amount of work and what
> mechanisms are best suited for this. Learning algorithms are of
> course a plus, serializability is a necessity, lower CPU usage is also
> more important than memory or disk space.
>
> Also, I've had some ideas about using genetic algorithms to guide the
> AI's movements by setting up a language of alleles for basic manuveurs
> and letting them evolve against each other and against players. Does
> this sound feasable?

In addition to the helpful replies from Steven (www.gameai.com) Woodcock
and Don (SOAR) Tveter, look into the work of:

Robert E. Smith
http://www.btc.uwe.ac.uk/~rsmith/

including:

Developing Novel Fighter Combat Rules
with Genetics-Based Machine Learning
http://www.ics.uwe.ac.uk/~rsmith/fighter/INDEX.HTM

Rob has done a lot of work with evolution of tactics and maneuvers for
combat aircraft. There are a few random related links on:

http://hmt.com/cwr/evolve.html

In addition, John Laird, Michael van Lent and their colleagues have been
applying SOAR to real time games (like Quake II and Descent 3), see:

John Laird's Computer Games Research
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/laird/gamesresearch.html

The Michigan SOAR group has also done realtime fighter pilots.

Craig Reynolds
http://hmt.com/cwr/