Re: Hardware Fuzzy chips

Edgar Dohmann (edohmann@ortech-engr.com)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:48:42 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <37B1F461.DFF03EA4@galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu>, Zarko Berberski
<zarko@galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:

> > I'm interested in a more general purpose chip, like the one
> > that Togai InfraLogic used to make -- VY86C500 FCA Core Library.
>
> See if you could get it's VHDL code from manufacturer - you might be able to
> have it produced for you in a small series or from an FPGA - depending on the
> coplexity. Otheriwse, using DSP-s migh be a viable soluton, depending on your
> problem.

Unfortunately the VY86C500 chip/core products formerly produced by Togai
InfraLogic have been discontinued and are no longer available. Although we
do still have the VHDL code in our archives, I do not forsee a viable
situation that would make this code available for our (or anyone else's)
manufacture.

The biggest problem is that DSPs and even general-purpose
microprocessor/microcontroller chips have become so fast in recent years
that the code space and processing resources required by a fuzzy algorithm
utilize such a small fraction of the overall resources available that it
just is not economically viable to use an off-board fuzzy processor or
coprocessor.

Those few application that *might* actually require an off-board fuzzy
processor or coprocessor just do not comprise a significant enough market
for any chip manufacturer to justify the design, development, production,
and support required to offer such a chip to the general market.

The original intent of the VY86C500 was to offer a Core Library that could
be integrated with a custom ASIC chip to provide a hardware fuzzy
algorithm within that chip. It was a good idea at the time (1990-1993
timeframe) but about the time the core was perfected and sample evaluation
chips (VY86C570) were available to enable users to develop and test their
algorithms for a specific application, the state of art of chip design and
microprocessor speeds became such that it was a solution for a problem
that no longer existed.

We still have a small quantity of VY86C570 chips and even a few of the
older FC110 Fuzzy Processor chips available if anyone is interested in
experimenting with such devices. However, once our available inventory is
exhausted, there will not be any more of these devices.

Our recommendation is to use TILShell to develop & test your fuzzy
algorithm, generate c-code from TILShell to represent your fuzzy system,
and integrate it into your general purpose processor, DSP, or ASIC
application.

At the present time, we are running a Half-Price Special on TILShell so it
is by far the least expensive full-featured fuzzy logic development
package on the market at this time. It also includes a 360-page printed
Users Manual, numerous templates and examples, and free technical support.

For further information, please contact
Edgar Dohmann
Ortech Engineering Inc.
info@ortech-engr.com