Re: What is Computational Intelligence?

Andreas Fick (fick@iai.fzk.de)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:13:15 +0200 (MET DST)

laiwk wrote:

> Hi,
> With the proliferation of books and journals on AI, and in particular
> Computational Intelligence, in recent years, i am wondering if anyone
> has an idea where one "ends" and the other "begins"?
>
> Checking for WWW resources has not been that helpful. i only see very
> loose references to CI being an area that covers ANNs, GAs, and Fuzzy
> Logic. i reckon it is more than this. Does anyone know of a concise
> definition of CI?
>
> Many Thanks in Advance.

Hi "laiwk",

asking the same question as you I found the article
"What is Computational Intelligence?" by James C. Bezdek
in Zurada, Jacek M.: "Computational Intelligence imitating life".
There is some information about the topic together with references
in the Introduction to that book, too. Hope this helps.

I think there will be no definitive answer
to your question, because the term is used by
different people with different meanings, but
if you find out more, please let me know.

Regards,

Andreas Fick