Re: Moire patterns, Quantum Mechanics & Povray

ca314159@bestweb.net
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:51:36 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <3790B192.8EDE4B23@cs.uoregon.edu>,
Bret Wood <bretwood@cs.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> ca314159@bestweb.net wrote:
> >
> > Someone posted somewhere (lost the link)
> > the interesting idea of reprogramming Povray to make
> > virtual optical tables with mirrors and lenses
> > and then making virtual holograms by introducing
> > phase relations into the free Povray source code.
>
> It would be a _lot_ more difficult than you would expect,

I see what you mean. If it was easy, I guess Shamir's Twinkle
wouldn't need the LEDs. The DOS source I looked at is surprisingly
tidy as far as source code goes. It might take a while though
to mentalize the data structures enough to make reasonable changes.

>It would probably also be possible to invent some sort of scheme
>which would preprocess the scene to determine where the potential
>"holographic" effects could happen.

Povray seems to be doing alot of backtracking in terms of recursions.
It does seem to be keeping the distances readily availiable though,
which might be used in an "end-run" to modify the pixels in the
image plane.

This is the computational holography link regarding Povray:
http://www.rdrop.com/~cary/html/c_holography.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/