Re: fuzzy string matching

Earl Cox (ecox@metus.com)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:39:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Except Will, I am not sure what it is "fuzzifying." Is every continuous
[0,1] a fuzzy measure? Shouldn't a fuzzy measure be related to some kind of
reduction in entropy? Does morphene and morphine with a close "fuzzy" grade
tell us anything?

This is a problem that I have been wrestling with for quite some time. I
don't have a definitive answer not am I sure that one exists. But I spend my
time building real-world fuzzy models for paying clients so I have to always
ask myself "what am I really doing?" This, in turn, has lead me to an
information theoretic viewpoint on the generation of fuzzy measures.

I am sorry that this thread is slowly fading away. I was hoping the issues
of what constitutes a measure of fuzziness could be more fully explored.

Earl

<#m0w2FQt#GA.331@nih2naaf.prod2.compuserve.com>...