Re: Detecting Bubbles in Digital Images

pdl2r@my-deja.com
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:06:41 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <19990614162942.07581.00001714@ng-cp1.aol.com>,
adriana0x0@aol.com (Adriana0x0) wrote:
> ellipse fitting algorithms yer best bet

Thank you for your reply.

Ellipse fitting algorithms fit an ellipse to a set of points which are
all roughly associated with the ellipse although some algorithms are
tolerant to scatter. Unfortunately, what I have is a large, rectanglar
array of pixels with different grey-levels. Within this array of
pixels there may be several bubbles. There may be none. It would
appear that, to apply an ellipse fitting algorithm, it would be
necessary to segment out points belonging to each bubble. That is the
problem since it is not possible to identify points belonging to a
bubble on the basis of gray level. The bubbles are superimposed on a
background of much smaller rectangles of varying gray level. They are
rather like crop circles or like raindrops on a painting except that
they are flat. ie. there is no 3D info. My problem is that I need to do
segmentation to get a set of points but it is not clear how the
segmentation is to be achieved.

Cheers,
Peter.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/