Re: Fuzzy logic in Medicine

Stefan Harms (harmsPOST@mbnet.mb.ca)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:47:30 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <7k2cmo$dqk@newton.fgg.eur.nl>, "Peter Rijnbeek"
<rijnbeek@mi.fgg.eur.nl> wrote:

> I am interested in Fuzzy logic applications in Medicine, and I would like to
> know if there has been any research about the benifits of this technique in
> such an environment. Please respond
>
> P.R. Rijnbeek ,MSc
>
> Medical Informatics
> Erasmus University Rotterdam
> The Netherlands
> rijnbeek@mi.fgg.eur.nl

I would like to point out one and a half applications in Anesthesia, that
have to do with fuzzy sets:

Both are open source, however not used clinically as far as I know:

1. A two imput two output fuzzy controller, Open Source software for
controlling two infusion pumps (arterial vasodilator and inotrope) can be
seen at Rensselaer - Biological Signal Processing and Control Research Lab
directed by Rob J. Roy http://www.eng.rpi.edu:80/~royr/roy_res.html

2. The other project is really just "vaporware" at this stage, but will
hopefully get more solid in the coming years: The idea is to develop a
software platform that will capture data in the Operating Room and make it
available for modelling, and even closed loop control.
Fuzzy logic sets are going be part of it, there is no question in my mind
about that, even though I have no demonstrations of the benefits that you
ask for.
The project is called LAMDI (Linux Anesthesia Modular Devices Interface)
and it can be seen at: http://gasnet.med.yale.edu/lamdi/

I would also like to point out that there was a recent related post in
this newsgroup by Steinmann, steimann@acm.org , and you might want to
contact him as well.

Please forward any interesting medicine applications that you find to this
newsgroup or onto a website.

best wishes

--
Stefan Harms @ Squirrel's End