Re: Fuzzy Cognitive Maps

Earl Cox (ecox@metus.com)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:34:45 +0200 (MET DST)

I think they simply faded away as vehicles for real-world knowledge
processing. I used Rod Taber's FCM tool (from Rod's company, Ring
Technology) to build several fuzzy cognitive maps for the marketing
department of a large New York bank about five years ago. We wanted to look
at the possible impact of various bank policies on customer retention. Thus
if credit card interest rates were increased, the transaction volume would
fall, which would impact income and affect reserves, and increase defaults,
which would also cause a tightening of application credit reviews, which
would reduce the number of cards issued, etc etc. The FCM edges contained
fuzzy weights. The model worked very well, but no one believed it and no one
could maintain it. Perhaps if we had an FCM package as a set of OCX
(Active-X) modules or DLL API's that could be called form, say Visual Basic,
so we could link it into a powerful multi-dimensional graphics package (such
as Olectra), then we might be able to build something marketing managers and
analysts could use.

That's my experience.
Hope this helps
Earl