Re: fuzzy string matching

Breezy (weiz@spam-block.sympac.com.au)
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 03:00:33 +0200 (MET DST)

Earl,

The original post entitled fuzzy string matching specifically asked for some
advise about the use of fuzzy logic in a spell checker application. For that
objective I think I am reading your endorsement below for the ability of
fuzzy sets to generate a metric which could adequately describe error of
comparison between two strings.

I think I am also reading your frustration for the lack of cognitive value
bought to the comparison of strings by simply fuzzying of the comparison
space.

Does every use of fuzzy sets( as a metric) have to be part of a bigger
generalized machine reasoning system?

Is there not already a good deal of information gain by the matching of the
semantic (in this case of the mismatch space when comparing the two strings)
to the underlying concept (of the misalignment of the comparison) ?

"Fuzzy set theory, and the broader area of fuzzy Logic itself, is not a
specific method for any particular application any more than Boolean logic
or probability is a logic for a particular kind of application."
...........The fuzzy systems handbook.

Rob Wise.

Earl Cox wrote in message ...
>While Lotfi has indicated, in many of his talks, that fuzzy logic is a
>methodology for adding the calculus of imprecision to any discipline, I
>still believe that we must look at the informational gain in fuzzy systems
>rather than simply some method of generating values in the [0,1] interval.
>Fuzzy logic has become a catch-all phrase for many families of interval
>arithmetic and for any arithmetic method that generates anything other than
>a finite set of integer valued solutions (I recall seeing an investment
>consultation system that proclaimed it used "FUZZY LOGIC -- the same kind
of
>logic found in Mycin and other expert systems!" Of course we know that
Mycin