Re: Neural Nets in MP3 Encoding

Maynard Handley (handleym@ricochet.net)
Wed, 26 May 1999 02:43:10 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <974.811T1107T14121931@friko2.onet.pl>, "Michal Bartczak"
<mikerro@friko2.onet.pl> wrote:

>>Hello,
>>I'm researching to develop a new encoder for the MPEG Audio Layer III
>>format. The encoders need among other things a psychoacoustic models to
>>get rid of the information about sounds that are masked by louder tones.
>>I'm trying to determine whether a technique based on fuzzy logic and/or
>>neural net principles would help. Any thoughts?
>
>Naah, this is based on pure empiric tests of human hearing :)
>
>You know about forward/backward masking, curves of masking and so on? If
you don't, i
>can explain it, but masking is not the whole part of encoding. And anyway -
>doing an encoder is complicated thingy... :)
>
>neural net! yep! it could help! it could! GOSH NICE IDEA! I don't know how
>good it could be, but it is worth of try! I'll speak with some 'masters'
>here in poland :)) It could be fast, or it could be slow...

Surely the real problem here is training?
Who is going to sit down with this thing as it varies its parameters one
after another, scanning through one piece of music after another, and for
all these different variations punish or reward the net?
Sure you can rely on mechanical valuations like SNRs, but in that case
what exactly are you getting over standard encoders?

Maynard