Re: Neural Nets in MP3 Encoding

Michal Bartczak (mikerro@friko2.onet.pl)
Mon, 24 May 1999 16:42:24 +0200 (MET DST)

>Hello,
>I'm researching to develop a new encoder for the MPEG Audio Layer III
>format. The encoders need among other things a psychoacoustic models to
>get rid of the information about sounds that are masked by louder tones.
>I'm trying to determine whether a technique based on fuzzy logic and/or
>neural net principles would help. Any thoughts?

Naah, this is based on pure empiric tests of human hearing :)

You know about forward/backward masking, curves of masking and so on? If you don't, i
can explain it, but masking is not the whole part of encoding. And anyway -
doing an encoder is complicated thingy... :)

neural net! yep! it could help! it could! GOSH NICE IDEA! I don't know how
good it could be, but it is worth of try! I'll speak with some 'masters'
here in poland :)) It could be fast, or it could be slow...

>Adeel Ahmad
>University of Waterloo
>Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering

Mikerek
Polish-Japaneese Institute of Computer Sciences