Re: datamining

Earl Cox (ecox@metus.com)
Mon, 10 May 1999 12:52:36 +0200 (MET DST)

D. O'Flanagan wrote in message ...

>Does anyone know where I can get basic source code (C, C++, JAVA, etc..)
>from for datamining purposes, as part of my MSc project. Any help would be
>very much appreciated and acknowledged.
>Any other relevant information would be, likewise, very much appreciated.

You might check out "Fuzzy Logic for Business and Industry" (Charles River
Media, 1995) by Earl Cox. Chapter 3, "FuzzySQL and Database Systems" deals
with ways to explore databases at a conceptual level using fuzzy queries.
This is a form of data mining. But, more to the point, see Chapter 4,
"Knowledge Mining and Rule Discovery" which provides a sophisticated method
of fuzzy rule induction -- learning rules from data. This technique
generates a functional fuzzy model. Both chapters include extensive
discussions underlying the philosophy and epistemology of the techniques and
show how to encode the approaches in C/C++. Complete FuzzySQL and Rule
Discovery code is included in attached disk.

Due out this summer, "Fuzzy Tools for Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery"
(from Academic Press Professional) will cover (and include complete C++ and
Visual Basic code -- as DCOM objects -- for) fuzzy model generation and rule
induction (with a genetic optimizer to find the best combination of
variables, fuzzy sets, and underlying domain specifications), fuzzy c-means
and Yager mountain clustering, fuzzy ID3 and CHAID, FuzzySQL with XML
semantic integration, as well as Kohonen Self-Organizing maps (including a
complete text mining facility). This is probably too late for your MSc
project, but might be of some interest if you intend to stay in the field.

Good Luck.
Earl