Re: Fuzzy Sets

>ma (rasmas@bayarea.net)
Mon, 3 May 1999 02:38:13 +0200 (MET DST)

hi,

gs_ramsu@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In case you find any information on finding membership values using frequency
> histograms, please post the info to this newsgroup.

<... some stuff clipped...from above post and post below to
save newsreader space....>

> In article <01DC33D92365D111A70200805FF5D09C1D4BC5@medellin.isagen.com.co>,
> fuzzy-mail@dbai.tuwien.ac.at wrote:
> > Where do I find information in the Internet about how I can determine
> > membership values using frecuency histograms (theory and practice), ...

I haven't seen an internet post but it seems to me that given a linguistic
variable which represents frequency, that you are simply asking what
the membership function might be ? Otherwise, given a set of histograms,
it depends upon the specifics of the histograms I would think. In the
best case I could see where a histogram may already represent your
membership function and all you need to do is to give the data set
a linguistic term. In other cases you may want to compute statistical
norm... i.e. it is unclear what you want to use as a linguistic variable so
too many assumptions would have to be made and this could turn into
a gigantic paper.. :)

> > Which is the difference, mathematicaly speaking, between probability and
> > possibility.

Well, philosophically speaking ... (hey, I don't feel like giving tutuorials
today... it's sunday ! ) :)... anyway... philosophically the difference is
like asking if the glass is half empty or half full.. hehehe...

good luck
Mike