Re: WHAT IS FUZZY SET THEORY? Re: fuzzy and probability

Alessandro Coppo (a.coppo@iol.it)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:50:41 +0100 (MET)

Carlos Gershenson wrote in message ...
>On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Will Dwinnell wrote:
>
>> I can only speak for myself ('fuzzy settians' with other ideas
>> are on their own), but to my way of thinking, fuzzy logic is less
>> a 'scientific theory' than it is a useful engineering tool.
>>

>I disagree.
>
>Let's see. All logic needs a metaphisics. For aristotelean logic, it's
>metaphisics is that "everything is either true or false, and nothing
>can't be other than true or false". This is metaphisics because it can be
>seen as the axioms of aristotelean logic. And as Goedel proved, they can't
>be demonstrated.

As an example, take quantum mechanics. Things won't work UNLESS you posit
that a system is in a COMPOSITION of states. As soon as you try to say "the
photon is vertically polarized, not horizontally" things collapse. This is
the equivalent of saying "proposition P is true with a membership m1 and
false with a membership m2" (actually, quantum mechanics requires
normalisation, i.e. the sum of probabilities must be 1, thing which is
relaxed in Fuzzy Logic).

Bye!!!

Alessandro Coppo
a.coppo@iol.it