Re: WHAT IS FUZZY SET THEORY? Re: fuzzy and probability

Carlos Gershenson (carlos@jlagunez.iquimica.unam.mx)
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 01:25:19 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Will Dwinnell wrote:

> I can only speak for myself ('fuzzy settians' with other ideas
> are on their own), but to my way of thinking, fuzzy logic is less
> a 'scientific theory' than it is a useful engineering tool.

I disagree.

Let's see. All logic needs a metaphisics. For aristotelean logic, it's
metaphisics is that "everything is either true or false, and nothing
can't be other than true or false". This is metaphisics because it can be
seen as the axioms of aristotelean logic. And as Goedel proved, they can't
be demonstrated.

For fuzzy logic, it's metaphisics would be that everything is in a range
between true and false, and not in other place.

For multidimensional logic (and maybe for some other paraconsistent
logics), it's metaphisics say that everithing can have a n-dimensional
truth vector, each value of the vector being between two opposite values
(true, false; good, bad; Being, not Being; etc.). In other words, that
everything can have more than one truth value.

Logics aren't formly scientific theories. Logics are used to develop
scientific theories, because all scientific theories follow the rules set
by a logic (and it's metaphisic). And of course "engineering tools" are
also use logics, but logics aren't an engineering tool itself. Logics are
the base for all discourses (scientific, philosophical, etc.)

Regards,
Carlos.

"All things are what each one thinks about them."
-Metrodorus of Kio.

Carlos Gershenson
http://132.248.11.4/~carlos/