Re: GA-FL

Carlos =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9s=20Pe=F1a?= Reyes (penha@lslsun.epfl.ch)
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 00:37:12 +0100 (MET)

Maciek Dyczkowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a student of Computer Science and am about to dig around the subject
> of "Genetic Algorythms and Fuzzy Logic combination". I read most of the
> documents from decsai.ugr.es and think that it might be interesting to
> try to apply this combined technique in DataBase searching.
> Unfortunately I have problems in finding any good docs covering the
> subject, so I appreciate any help from you (via e-mail or news).
>
> The project will be a real computer program, so maybe (if "data bases
> searching" is not good for applying GA-FL techniques) I should focus on
> some other interesting aim (excluding FL Controllers!)? I'd be greatfull
> for any ideas and promise to share the results, when I'm done with it.
>
> Greetings
>
> Maciek

Hi,

We used a Hybrid (GA-FL) approach to produce a fuzzy rule-based diagnostic system for breast cancer. We concentrated our efforts in attain a high performance, but guaranteeing--- we hope :-) ---the (human-)interpretability of the system.

In the following page you can find some postscript files of papers reporting our results and presenting our approach: http://lslwww.epfl.ch/~penha/pub.html.

----
Carlos Andrés PEÑA-REYES, Moshe SIPPER "A fuzzy-genetic approach to breast cancer diagnosis", In Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (To appear).

Abstract:
The automatic diagnosis of breast cancer is an important, real-world
medical problem. In this paper we focus on the Wisconsin breast cancer
diagnosis (WBCD) problem, combining two methodologies---fuzzy systems
and evolutionary algorithms---so as to automatically produce
diagnostic systems. We find that our fuzzy-genetic approach produces
systems exhibiting two prime characteristics: first, they attain high
classification performance (the best shown to date), with the
possibility of attributing a confidence measure to the output
diagnosis; second, the resulting systems involve a few simple rules,
and are therefore (human-)interpretable.

best regards,

Carlos-Andres.

--
Carlos Andrés PEÑA REYES