Re: Dissertation Help Management of patient on Insulin therapy.

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:46:14 +0100 (MET)

>All questions are in relation to independent diabetes,
>All questions are in relation to rule based expert systems.

While I have no experience with diabetes, I have done some work on psychiatric
diagnoses, and make one suggestion. Put your output in the form of a discrete
fuzzy set of outcomes. There will be no membership functions attached to these
members. For an example of the kind of reasoning to employ, see my Web page
http://users.aol.com/wsiler/ where there is a manual and a demo version of our
expert system shell you can download with (among others) a sample program
schizo.par.

Do NOT attempt to assign numerical values to non-numeric quantities; this can
give seriously misleading results. There are maybe two fuzzy expert system
shells really suitable for non-numeric quantities: our shell FLOPS and
Baldwin's shell FRIL, a fuzzy superset of PROLOG. Another possibility is Fuzzy
CLIPS from the National Research Council of Canada; this does not allow the
kind of discrete fuzzy sets which are desirable, but does allow character
strings with confidences attached.

I'd be very glad to hear more about your project.

William Siler