Re: fuzzy and probability

Nanchieh Jay Chiu (njchiu@unity.ncsu.edu)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:32:54 +0100 (MET)

%----------------------------

>Can anyone recommend a book, (or an article) that has a
>good discussion on the difference between fuzzy set theory
>and probability theory.

%-----------------------------

Hello:

This is a follow-up message to the "fuzzy and probability"
question posted on 1/27. I'd like to thank all the people
who responded to the question. A list of the results is
summarized here. They are (in the order I received):

-- from Lofti Zadeh
...check out Bart Kosko's work - or potentially his progenitor.

-- from Juite (Ray) Wang
Laviolette, M. et al. (1995) "A Probabilistic and Statistical View
of Fuzzy Methods." Technometrics, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 249-292.

Special issue papers on the effact of fuzzy representations, IEEE
Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 2, No. 1.

-- from Olivier Hélary
See D.DUBOIS on www.irit.fr

-- from William H. Woodall
Laviolette, M., Seaman,J.W., Jr., Barrett, J.D., and Woodall, W.H.
(1995),"A Probabilistic and Statistical View of Fuzzy Logic," (with
discussion), Technometrics, 37, 249-292.

-- from Maurice Girod
'Fuzziness and Probability' by S.F.Thomas
ISBN 0-9649049-0-X

-- from Gert de Cooman
The following papers may be of interest: they are about the connection
between possibility theory (and fuzzy set theory) and probability theory
in the context of the theory of imprecise probabilities. You can find
more information on my website (http://ensmain.rug.ac.be/~gert) under
the heading "publications".

More information about imprecise probabilities can be found on the
website of the Imprecise Probabilities Project
(http://ensmain.rug.ac.be/~ipp).
---------------------
Peter Walley and Gert de Cooman, A behavioural model for linguistic
uncertainty, 26 pages, accepted for publication in: Computing with
Words, ed. Paul P. Wang, 1998.

Gert De Cooman, Integration in possibility theory, 40 pages, submitted
for publication in: Fuzzy Measures and Integrals - Theory and
Applications, ed. M. Grabisch, T. Murofushi en M. Sugeno, 1998.

Peter Walley and Gert de Cooman, Coherence of rules for defining
conditional possibilities, 29 pages, accepted for publication in
International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, 1998.

Gert de Cooman and Peter Walley, An imprecise hierarchical model for
behaviour under uncertainty, 34 pages, submitted for publication to
Econometrica, 1998.

Gert de Cooman and Dirk Aeyels, A random set description of a
possibility measure and its natural extension, 6 pages, submitted for
publication in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 1997.

Gert de Cooman and Dirk Aeyels, Supremum preserving upper probabilities,
27 pages, accepted for publication in Information Sciences, 1998.

-- from Henri Prade
(papers written by Henri Prade and Didier Dubois)

Thank you.

Nan-Chieh Chiu
njchiu@eos.ncsu.edu
Operations Research