Re: Fuzzy-Clustering

Robin B. Lake (rbl@hal.EPBI.CWRU.Edu)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:44:04 +0100 (MET)

> Hi collegues,
>
> I am working on my PhD in odour recognition. Now I am working with FCM
> to cluster aromas. My data is 3-5 dimensional and the number of clusters
> is 3-6.
> I think the best solution is to change typical point prototypes to use
> different ones as lines and circles in an n-dimensional space.
> Is there someone who can give me a reference for this problem, articles,
> algorithms, software,etc. ?
>
> I would appreciate very much your help.
>
> Regards from Barcelona,
>

> --
> Arturo Ortega Mansilla
>
> Electronic Engineering
> Dept. Electronica
> Universitat de Barcelona
> C/Marti i Franques, 1
> 08028 Barcelona (Spain)
>
> Fax +34 93 4021148
> Tlf +34 93 4029070
> Email ortega@el.ub.es

I suggest you look at "Information Theory and Esthetic Perception"
by Abraham Moles for background on the fundamental sensory problem.

For a primitive start on displaying circles in color with labels, there
is the famous "sillyballs.c" program by Bo3b Johnson, circa 1988. I just
toyed with it as part of the Metrowerks C compiler package.

Cheers,
Rob Lake
Environmental Modeling Inc.
rbl@po.cwru.edu