Re: Fuzzy "Teaching workbench"

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 19:26:30 +0100 (MET)

>You are welcome to have a look at
>http://www.iau.dtu.dk/~jj/learn/index.html

>It is a page for a fuzzy control course, which runs over the
>Internet. The page

> http://www.iau.dtu.dk/~jj/course/

>is for a local course in fuzzy control; it will point you to
>some course material and a lab exercise (graduate
>students).

>Both courses use Matlab.

This is a great idea, but the requirement of Matlab will
restrict its use. (I don't have Matlab. Can't afford it.) People who go out
into the real world are (I think) somewhat unlikely to have Matlab available.
C++ is much more common for programmer, and Fortran or C++ for engineers.

I've been using Basic for introductory programs. Now that it is structured,
it's a pretty transparent language. After all, it was originally created at
Dartmouth for student use. I really think students should concentrate on
programming the fundamental algorithms of fuzzy math. Except for complex fuzzy
expert systems, they shouldn't have crutches available.

I suspect that many will disagree with this. Does anyone agree?

William Siler