Re: Newsgroup for serious fuzzy researchers

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 18:25:26 +0100 (MET)

>1. Someone here remember the rules for setting a vote? At least
>we must have a person to count votes, a minimal number of votes
>and a minimal percentage of YES to open a new comp group.
>It is supposed that this person will be the first to create the group
>(that will later propagate in the net).

There is a group at Duke that assists people in starting a newsgroup, and I
have a number of documents from them that give detailed instructions on the
voting procedure.

>2. There is any candidate do moderator? I was once a discussion-list
>moderator and I tell you, this takes time.

I'd take some time for this, and I think I can persuade Jim Buckley to take
part. The most eminent responder to my original proposal is Hans Zimmerman, and
he could probably twist some arms.

My own major objective here is to overcome the wide gap between real-world
practictioners such as Earl Cox, Bill Combs and myself and the fuzzy
academicians. A second objective is to try to circumvent the ridiculous
publication lag in FS&S and the IEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems. These are
worth some effort.

>3. There will be any rule other than "I ask, so I get in the group?"

I don't really know. Some minimal screening, such as requiring applicants to
state their research interests, could be applied.

>4. There will be any serious discussions or the group will be empty,
>as some others are?

If there aren't any serious discussions, it will be because fuzzy people (like
AIers) feel that what they aren't interested in doesn't exist. Certainly there
is a lot of room for intelligent controversy. Those of us who actually write
and deploy fuzzy expert systems have a bunch to say, and maybe somebody would
listen to us. To date, practically nobody does. Earl Cox describes himself as
the "Rodney Dangerfield" of fuzzy!

>5. Can we model the group as a "permanent internet conference",
>publishing papers with an editorial commitee (as a bonus).

I would think that electronic publishing, with permission to authors to publish
the same material elsewhere, would be an excellent idea. I have about 50 MB of
disk space at an Internet provider we can use for free.

A problem here is Latex. The mathematicians don't seem to use anything else,
and I know of no Internet browser that can handle Latex. Authors would have to
be able to write or convert papers to HTML.

Anyway, it looks like you have initiated a serious discussion. This should
continue.

William Siler