Re: Why alpha-cut?

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:52:30 +0100 (MET)

>Why do we use alpha-cuts? What is it good for? In analogy with how our
>brains work, what cognitive or other operation does the alpha-cut
>correspond to? - I don't think we go around making some sort of
>"subconscious" alpha-cuts about things. (Or do we?

Yes indeed, we certainly do. Remember the old joke about the mule, with the
punch line "First you have to get his attention"? If we didn't have thresholds
for sensory perception, and also for thoughts and ideas, we would be totally
swamped. (In fact, one problem that many or most of us have is that our
threshold is too high.) Imagine an expert system with Gaussian membership
functions, and no confidence threshold for firing rules? That's just one
instance - but there are many, many more.

One advantage to a fuzzy system is that we can place our alpha cuts a lot lower
than humans do, and consider lots more possibilities in parallel.

William Siler