Re: Have you ?

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:20:24 +0100 (MET)

>Have you tried implementing any application using some AI approach (e.g.
>Fuzzy Logic, Genetic Algorithm, Neural Networks, Finite State Machine
>etc.) ?
>
>If yes, may I know what types of testing that you have carried out to
>determine the accuracy and correctness of the application ?

Our testing of fuzzy expert systems has been very simple - we compare the exprt
system results to those obtained by very well qualified experts who examine the
sourced data exhaustively. For example, our expert system for alarms in an
intensive care uit it tested by comparing the system result to those obtained
by a research nurse who painstakingly examines the recorded wave forms for ECG,
central venous pressure and pulmonary artery catheter pressures over a 24-hour
period and compares her results to the expert system results. Another system
for preliminary psychiatric diagnoses was tested by a psychologist who compared
the system diagnoses to her own diagnoses. In one system for mineral mixture
identification from X-ray diffraction spectra, a series of test cases of
various levels of difficulty was supplied by the appropriate professional
organization.

It would be nice to have a 24-carat gold standard, but this almost never
happens in the real world.

William Siler