Re: Temperature Control

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 06:45:06 +0100 (MET)

>I am trying to implement a temperature controller using fuzzy logic. I am
>not sure how to define the I/O. Will the single input of the difference of
>setpoint - process temp. be enough ? Or do I also add the output level and
>time as well ?

It is not a good idea to input the error, since this means the setpoint would
have to be adjusted externally in some way. Also, since error rate of change is
an important parameter, it might be a good idea to input the time as well. If
your samples are not taken at fixed equally spaced time intervals, inputting
the time is essential. Of course, if you end up implementing the controller in
hardware, you may be able to reduce the number of inputs, but in the design and
initial testing phase I would input temperature, setpoint and time.

The controller itself can be very simple. If you like, I can EMail you Basic
code for a simple controller with which you can play on your computer to get a
feeling for how they work.

William Siler