Re: help implementing membership function in C...

Fuzzify (fuzzify@aol.com)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 19:30:40 +0100 (MET)

>For example if my membership function looks like:
>
> 1|\
> | \
> | \
> | \
> | \
> | \
> | \
> 0--------5
>
>I can't figure out the math to determine membership for an x value less
>than 5. I know that I can't use floats since the HC12 does not handle
>float values.

First, since you do not have floating point numbers, you should use integers
with the understanding that they are effectively divided by a normalizing
constant. Say you have 16-bit integers with a normalizing constant of 10000,
then if used for membership values 10000 could represent 1, 5000, could
represent 0.5 and so on. This would give you a resolution of 1 part in 10000.
If your integer size is 8 bits, you would have to use a much smaller
normalizing constant.

Secondly, numbers to be fuzzified need to have a definite range. Membership
functions such as you have drawn, with a vertical line on the left, are used to
get membership values at the lower end of the allowable range. In other words,
if your x value is less than 0, you may have an error condition. Usually a
membership value of 1 or an error is returned if x is less than zero.

>From the book I've been reading there is example source code for the
>function:
>
>if (speed >=0 && speed <=0)
> result=100;
>else if (speed >=0 && speed <=5)
> result=100 - (((speed - (0))*200)/10);

I have no idea what book you are reading, but that code is pretty silly. No
matter what the value of speed is, "speed <= 0 AND speed >= 0" will always be
false unless x is 0; that code is precisely equivalent to "speed == 0". It does
look like result is a membership, with the max membership being 100 instead of
1 so you can use integers. Assuming that this is the case, then better code
would be

if (speed <= 0) then result = 100
else if (speed >= 0 and speed < 5) then result = 100 - (speed * 100) / 5
else if (speed >= 5 then result = 0

This code would yield these values:

speed result (equivalent membership)
-5 100 1
0 100 1
2 60 0.6
4 20 0.2
5 0 0

As another responder has pointed out, the restriction to inetegers means that
you would have to use a multiplication factor for speed to give you decent
resolution. So say that a speed value of 1 (externally) woul be represented by
100 internally. Then you might have this code:

if (speed <= 0) then result = 100
else if (speed >= 0 and speed < 500) then result = 100 - (speed * 100) / 500
else if (speed >= 500 then result = 0

external internal result (membership)
0 0 100 1
2.5 250 50 0.5
5 500 0 0

I'm not sure what language you are using, so the above would have to be
slightly modified to fit yourlanguage's syntax.

William Siler