Re: Ways to evaluate fuzzy predicates

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:01:40 +0100 (MET)

> The reason I ask is I am trying to weight different truth values based
> on the authority (or relevance) of their sources. So for example if Fred
> says the truth value of a proposition P is 0.9 and Joe says it is 0.1,
> but I trust Joe more than Fred, then I want to assign P a truth value
> nearer 0.1 than 0.9.

The problem you raise is known in the fuzzy field as that of competing or
conflicting experts. The person who has the most experience with this is Earl
Cox. In his book "Fuzzy Logic for Business and Industry" deals briefly with the
problem on page 40-42, and has a whole chapter on "Fuzzy multi-driteria and
multi-expert decision making" beginning on page 279. I strongly suggest you get
a copy and go through his methods. Since Earl knows a lot more about this than
I do, I'm not commenting on your method.