Re: Summarization

Carlos Gershenson (carlos@jlagunez.iquimica.unam.mx)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 01:56:16 +0100 (MET)

The theme of a passage doesen't necessarily is related to the words that
are most repeated in it, so your solution wouldn-t be effective for all
cases.

The main problem is that to summarize, the summarizing program needs to
"understand" the context and each sentence, and how they are related.

Now it could be done with formal languages, but it is very difficult to
translate natural to formal languages, even for people.

Maybe with multilayered agents this could be solved. This is, agents which
understand each sentence, and other level of agents which understand the
context.

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, AKASH MOHABEY wrote:

> A possible way for summarization (?)
>
> Summarization, as I percieve, is more of as art.
> Here, the contents/abstract of the whole passage
> has to be brought about in a few words. And the
> header may not necessarily contain any word from
> the passage. Therefore, the header may be thought
> of to be some superset of the language "word-base".
> >From this point of view, one word which most
> predominantly resembles almost all of the passage
> should first be found. This word, in its meaning,
> will contain all the "major" words that are found in the
> passage. Then, as the second step, a sentence may
> be formed from this one word. The sentence should be
> sensible, and reflect, in its entirity, the meaning
> of the passage.
>
> All comments are welcome.
>
> Warm regards,
> Akash
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Akash Mohabey
> MS ( E & ECE )
>
> Indian Institute of Technology
> Kharagpur,
> WB India
> 721 302
> email : u9819m01@iitkgp.ren.nic.in
> amohabey@hotmail.com ( preferred)

> (3) To reach the human who maintains the list, send mail to
> fuzzy-owner@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
> (4) WWW access and other information on Fuzzy Sets and Logic see
> http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/ftp/mlowner/fuzzy-mail.info
> (5) WWW archive: http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/marchives/fuzzy-mail/index.html

"Intelligence is when you can have at the same time two contradictory
thoughts. One example of it, is that we know that mankind is lost... and,
althrought, we do everything we can to try to save it."
-Scott Fitzgerald

Carlos Gershenson
http://132.248.11.4/~carlos/