Re: Information on Expert System Shells with Fuzzy logic

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 00:11:46 +0100 (MET)

>I am new to the fuzzy logic field. I am looking for some
>commercial expert system shells which have the capability
>to do conventional rule-based knowledge base
>creation/execution as well as capabilities to perform fuzzy
>logic based reasoning.

There are three products I know of that are supersets of well-known rule-based
AI languages.

FuzzyClips, by the National Research Council of Canada, is a fuzzy superset of
CLIPS, the NASA expert system language. It is avialble for free from World
Wide Web page http://ai.iit.nrc/fuzzy/

FLOPS, by the Kemp-Carraway Heart Institute, is a fuzzy superset of OPS5. An
introductory manual and demo disk may be downloaded from World Wide Web page
http://users.aol.com/wsiler/

Fril, from Baldwin's groupin the UK, is a fuzzy susperset of Prolog. A book and
demo disk are available: Baldwin JF, TP Martin and BW Pilsworth (1995). FRIL -
Fuzzy and Evidential Reasoning in Artificial Intelligence. John Wiley & Sons,
New York, NY.

Although not based on an existing AI language, METUS by Earl Cox is reasonably
powerful. See his books and accompaning floppy disks: Cox E (1995). Fuzzy
Logic for Business and Industry. Charles River Media, Rockland, MA. or Cox E
(1994). The Fuzzy Systems Handbook. AP Professional, New York, NY.

William Siler