Re: Request for information from a complete non-fuzzy person

Michael D. Hofer (featheredfrog@geocities.com)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:07:28 +0200 (MET DST)

Michael O'Shea wrote:

> Nah, everything's cool. I actually had a good laugh at your post. Can't hate
> you after that ! ; )
>
> MAO

But still and all, there's the valid desire for an entry point. For
instance, I've just finished reading (at long last, I don't know how
long it's been on my coffee table/to be read pile)

Fuzzy Thinking - The New Science of Fuzzy Logic
Bart Kosko
1993, Hyperion
ISBN 1-56282-839-8

Which seems a good "intelligent layperson's" introduction, but I'd like
to read comments from people more in the thick of things, along with
what might be considered a slightly more rigorous next step - perhaps
with practical apps described. Pointers or ISBNs, Please?

My background includes applied math, and I've been developing computer
software and systems for a long time now (read: It's been a LOOONG time
since E-school).

Kosko, when writing of rule elucidation, talks of "accumulators" in a
sample space, generating the "groupings". This seems like multivariate
cluster analysis with a "goodness radius" (Confidence distance?) added
in. Can anyone direct me to information confirming or refuting or even
just a bit more detail on automatically building
neural-fuzzy-whatsis-patch-thingies?

thanks.

michael

--
Cian ua'Lochan /mka/ Michael D. Hofer
I'm not a medievalist - I just play one on weekends!