Re: Non-monotonic Reasoning

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 23:30:27 +0200 (MET DST)

>I am looking for papers on non-monotonic reasoning. If anyone knows of
>anything of use, please let me know.

We have a couple of papers on this somewhere, but I've forgotten where they
are. In any event, we define strongly monotonic fuzzy reasoning as when a
variable's value can only be replaced by a value of greater confidence than the
old, and weakly monotonic fuzzy reasoning as when a variable's value can only
be replaced by a value of equal or greater confidence than the old.
Non-monotonic reasoning is when a variable's value can be replaced by a value
of lesser confidence than the old.

More generally, monotonic reasoning is when you are finding out new things;
non-monotonic is when you find out that something you believed was true is in
fact not true. Oops!

William Siler