Re: Question about "Fuzzy expert system".

Eric GAUDET (egaudet@francenet.fr)
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 00:01:50 +0200 (MET DST)

Will Dwinnell wrote:

> Daniele Benegiamo wrote:
> "And how I can compute a rule with more consequents? As:
> if (a is A) then ( (b is B) OR (c is C) )"

..

> This is an interesting question. In real life, such as when
> working 'backward' from the facts to possible explanations, this
> is exactly the type of inference which is used:
>
> IF car won't start THEN EITHER: 1. battery is dead OR 2. no gas
> OR 3. starter is borken OR etc.
>
> I can imagine a system which pursues these possibilities in
> parallel, although it will quickly get very messy (in terms of
> the number of plausible explanations discovered) if there are
> many of these OR consequents.

What do you call 'messy'. You can look up to a symbol table sort of
thing to know all possibilities (or dynamically build it) Then you give
some value to each according to the rules (in your exemple 1/3 each if
you begin with all zeroes). The number of possibilities doesn't sound
unmanageable to me (even a small database deals with far more datas)
But I wonder how you can calculate _next_ inferences. Let's say now :
IF car make no sound THEN EITHER: 1. no gas OR 2. starter is borken
Each possibility is 1/2 true. So now what are values of "battery is
dead", "no gas" and "starter is borken" ?

Eric