Re: stochastic logic

graham_fyffe@hotmail.com
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 22:26:41 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <19980922013105.19261.00003096@ng106.aol.com>,
earlcox@aol.com (EarlCox) wrote:

> Bart Kosko in "Fuzzy Thinking" showed that fuzzy logic can handle these kind
of
> paradoxes and contradictions,
>
> "A Cretans are Liars," said Empodocles the Cretan,
>
> with the same [.5] truth value. Also, many real world fuzzy models sample
> variable states that are rapidly flickering between various degrees of truth.
> It is a common practice to weight the state of the variable accoridng to its
> average or sampled truth state (that is, w*X[j] provides a spectrum of the
> variable according to its truth membership states -- not just whether it is
> true or false.)
>
> I believe you will find your "new" logic is simply a well known form of fuzzy
> logic.
>
> Earl

Very interesting, though I was cautious enough to not say "new". Why is it
not common practice to use the formulas I derived from it then? Wherever I
look on the internet, people are using min/max for and/or.

Also, it allows me to do things that I should have heard about by now if
anyone else had done them. Do you have any pointers to more detailed
literature on this breed of fuzzy logic?

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I want as much information as I can get on
what's already been done on this subject.

- GLYPH